Sunday, February 17, 2008

Vista Media Center

Over the last 6 months, I've been playing with Vista "Media Center". Vista Media center is Microsoft's home theater / media solution. Media Center offers a wide range of media solutions for the home theater. This includes: My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, MY DVDs and My Recorded TV.

So I started this experiment with XP media Center last year. I ran this "Solution" for about 1 month! Sadly, the computer I was using was not powerful enough to be used as a media Center.

Fast forward to my current solution:
intel P4 2.4 gigahertz Processor.
2 Gigs of RAM
802.11n wireless Network card (for faster network transfers - Streaming Videos)
1 500 Gig Western Digital Hard Drive
1 External 500 Gig Hard Drive
1 External 750 Gig Hard Drive
1 Windows Media Cetner Kit from Hauge pauge PVR 150.
1 ATI 128 meg Video Card (DVI output)

The Setup went very smooth. I installed Vista with no issues at all! Everything was up and running with in 2 hours. I hooked up my satelite receiver to my PVR via the S-VIDEO connection. To my surprise, everything worked like magic. I then moved my existing data from my several sources: laptops, desktops and other removeable sources that I have collected over the years. I move all my pictures, my movies, and my music.

Once setup, I quickly went and explored all the options that are available inside media center! First thing I checked out was My pictures. I had moved all my pictures (about 3 gigs) to "My Pictures directory". Media center organzied everything for me! By folders or by date taken... it's awesome! I love this feature. A majority of my pictures are of my kids. Since they are now accessable via my "TV", I find myself playing the slide show and sitting in front of the TV all the time. My kids also seem to like this feature.

Next I checked out "My DVDs". To my surprise, I couldn't see any of my DVDs!! I had over 100 gigs of movies. Where were all of my DVDs? I quickly noticed that I could see my DVD player but nothing else. Surely, Microsoft would have made media center have the ability to veiw all my stored DVDs.

I went and did some research and found out that "My DVDs" are not setup by default and I have to go to the registry and make a change to "Activate" "my DVDs". This is bad! I think the next version of Media Center that this should be setup by default!

Now for my review, My DVDs is a great feature. It organizes all my DVDs very nicely. However, in order to make it work correctly, you have to go thru a process. You have to save the DVD files to a hard drive and create an XML file for each movie.

I have made a routine while "encoding" my DVDs and it seems to work for me. I open DVD Shrink and encode the disc. While this is recording I go to www.DVDXML.com and search their online database of DVDXMLs and save the file into the directory. the entire process takes about 30 mins. Oh another cool thing. Any movies that I have "recorded" are also available in the My Movies Section.

I spend about 80% of my time watching movies, so this section is very important for me! There is also a "plug in" that allows you to automate this process. I have not used it, so I can not comment on it. Check it out, go google "my movies" and you can try it out for yourself.

Next thing to check out was "My recorded TV". This was to be my main "tivo" system for my household. I was very excited about this feature. I must say it's a great setup.

Very easy to use and very visual! Only draw back, I only had 1 video capture card and 1 satelite receiver. To make it function like my Tivo, I need to get a 2nd capture card and a 2 satelite reciever. (currently, this is not in my budget) So as a result, I can only watch 1 thing. So if I want to record "Show A" and watch "Show B" I can not.

Now what about the "extras"? These are all great, Sports is the best. You can track players, scores, watch games and get up to date information at a touch of a button! Just awesome! Great for the fantasy football player or any other sports person.


Over all I loved VISTA MEDIA CENTER!

web design Houston





Houston web hosting

No comments: